Re: Orca newbi: need help on finding dependencies for orca setup for ubuntu

Hi,

krishnakant Mane wrote:
why not have those deb packages that can make accessibility work out
of the box after installation of ubuntu?  I mean accessibility with
all possible applications.

Well, there are a few reasons why not. Firefox 1.5 is the most stable version of Firefox at current, and it makes sense why it was included in Dapper. However, v1.8 is more accessible all be it less stable. I'm certain as soon as it is stable enough to be included it will be. Some applications require the Java access bridge. Since the Sun JRE is under a different license it can not be included with Linux out of the box, but Ubuntu is good about keeping a Universe repository for more commercialized apps. I am certain someone could make a java-access-bridge.deb package and put it in the universe repository for an apt-get install.

 I had been told off the list by my good
old friend thomas that to make openoffice accessible there are a lot
of dependencies to be settled and also the default openoffice needs to
be removed and replaced with 1.8 if I recall correctly.

Let me clarify what I was talking about to you off list. First off, I find the open office compiled by the folks at openoffice.org is more accessible and works better with accessibility than does the one that ships with Linux distributions. Not to mention you can get the latest versions which are better yet. The only major thing you need is the Sun JRE, java runtime environment, and the java-access-bridge. As I know of know deb packages for the java-access-bridge you would likely have to compile which requires the build-essential and gnome-devel package groups as well as the Sun jdk 1.5 which are not installed on a standard Ubuntu 6.06 install.

I also want to know if such default acccessibility can b be provided
for firefox as well.

Well, as I said earlier v1.8 which I think is going to be 2.0 is currently an unstable version. It will be out when it is ready, and I can't really blame them for including a version that is less accessible but stable. Generally speaking if you want to stay up to date with access changes with Firefox it is best to build from the 1.8 nightly builds.

in our country there are so many pockets of regions where broadband
internet is not available so it will take years for downloading and
installing packages with app-get or similar tool.

Unfortunately for you, Ubuntu, Debian, and other like distributions seam to be internet-centric where you install the os and then use say apt-get to complete the install. There are reasons why some apps are not included. For example, Ubuntu comes with dvd movie players, but since there is license restrictions on dvd decoder libraries it is not included. However, with an internet connection and a couple of apt-gets later the decoder dependancies is installed, and the Ubuntu user can dvd away in his or her favorite dvd movie player. If you don't have an internet connection things are not impossible, but just more difficult.

in some places getting an internet connection is also difficult.
in such a situation how will a blind person get total accessibility?

Well, some apps like Firefox and Thunderbird are improving and it is my understandinb by version 3 access for those apps should be pretty well on it's way. For apps like Openoffice.org, Staroffice, and the like my guess is if a deb package for the java-access-bridge could be made all that would need to be done is to download the jaba-bridge and the Sun JRE, and install them, and in theory appsthat need java support would work.

and my second question is that can I use cd with app-get to install
development tools?

I suppose that is possible, but I never tried it that way.

I got the ubuntu server cd and it seams it has all the tools like gcc,
g++ make and the likes.
so if I want to say have all the dependencies to even build orca from
source can I use my server or desktop cd instead of internet to get
all the needed tools?

No, I don't believe the server cd has all the required dependancies. It may have the build-essential group which is a good start but you still need gnome-devel and python-dev. I don't know of any other way of getting gnome-devel other than apt-get.