Re: Orca newbi: need help on finding dependencies for orca setup for ubuntu

Hi,

krishnakant Mane wrote:
 so does that mean that I don't need any thing else to download?

That is correct. As best I recall all you need for orca is the gnome-orca.deb package. You'll want to get at least 0.2.5 or newer.

does the package for orca also contain festival and the related voices?

No, Those have their own *.deb packages. If you are using the Ubuntu 6.06 desktop installation cd festival, gnome-speech, etc is already preinstalled.

 I don't wish to compile it from source at list right now.  but do
I need the .deb packages for orca, or are they installed by default on
ubuntu?

Ubuntu does not currently ship with orca in 6.06. You'll need to find a gnome-orca.deb package for Ubuntu 6.06.

if no then how will just downloading the orca package work for me?

The developers of Ubuntu are quite good about including all the major dependancies for gnopernicus and orca in the Gnome that ships with 6.06. With little luck you should be able to open up gnome-terminal pass it the dpkg install command followed by the path to your gnome-orca package, and it will be up and running.

I heard from another tutorial that I also have to runn some setup command?
will I need it hear?

I think you are talking about
orca --setup
which allows you to customize orca in text mode. It's not necessary especially if all you want to use is festival. Using a insert+space will launch a dialog while orca is running so you can change speech rate, pitch volume, etc for fine tuning while orca is running.'

and yes how are you doing these days thomas?  nice to hear from you again.

As to that question I'll write you off list as it is not Orca related. Smile.