Re: Network Manager reason codes

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM, mike cloaked <mike cloaked gmail com> wrote:

> I have now tried a test with a different laptop running the following wireless:
> 03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
> [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
>
> [root@lapmike2 ~]# lsmod|grep ipw
> ipw2200               116546  0
> libipw                 21037  1 ipw2200
> cfg80211              110951  2 ipw2200,libipw
> lib80211                4107  3 lib80211_crypt_ccmp,ipw2200,libipw
>
> This wireless card in this second laptop does seem to have a driver
> that is allowed to change the sensitivity!  I guess for the first test
> I did the sens value can't be changed so I will run the tests with the
> second laptop instead.

This driver seems to refuse sens values in dBm - but only as positive
numbers - so I am unsure what the appropriate value is in this case -
but it seems that if the wireless driver is able to change the sens
value and it can be set in dBm then your advice is good - however I
did not realise there was so much variation in support on the driver
side and this whole issue is a lot more complicated than I first
realised!
--
mike c