Re: Network Manager reason codes

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Jirka Klimes <jklimes redhat com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 of February 2011 14:20:12 Byte Soup wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was wondering about the reason codes Im seeing in my /var/log/syslog, for
>> example:
>>
>> Feb 10 13:15:57 Homer NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): supplicant connection
>> state:  associating -> disconnected
>> Feb 10 13:15:59 Homer NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): supplicant connection
>> state:  disconnected -> scanning
>> Feb 10 13:16:11 Homer NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): supplicant connection
>> state:  scanning -> disconnected
>> Feb 10 13:16:13 Homer NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): device state change:
>> 8 -> 3 (reason 11)
>> Feb 10 13:16:13 Homer NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): deactivating device
>> (reason: 11).
>>
>> Is there a reference for the reason codes? Also Im working in a location
>> where there are a number of different access points for the same network.
>> Can I configure network manager to just associated to one MAC address,
>> because it seems to be hopping from one to another and then subsequently my
>> VPN connection drops
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -Mark
>
> You can find the reason codes in
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/include/NetworkManager.h?id=2dbaab2221c092e1cb1855b14419964b4b8a04fc#n235
>
> If you want to use just one AP, you can "lock" a connection to it via BSSID
> field in nm-connection-editor.
>
> right-click on nm-applet -> "Edit Connections..." ->click to "Wireless tab" ->
> find your connection -> click "Edit..." -> on "Wireless tab" add MAC address of
> your AP to BSSID edit field and save the connection.

If there are two different connections defined in NM with the same
ssid and encryption but each with different BSSID values (i.e. because
there are two APs
in different parts of a building for example), how does NM determine
which of the two to associate with on initial connection?

Is there a way to get NM to always choose the one with the strongest
signal at the time of making the initial connection?

What is the internal NM decision if one then moves from from near the
first AP to the other one so that the signal that was weak initially
then later becomes the stronger signal?

Thanks

--
mike c