Re: Question regarding the features for the next release

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Dan Williams<dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 13:22 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:

>> > No, it's certainly not.  We also don't know how to switch the BBs from
>> > CDMA to GSM, or how to find out if they are in CDMA or GSM mode at the
>> > time of connection.  Can you run:
>> >
>> > AT+IMSI
>> > AT+COPS=?
>> >
>> > for me and wait like a minute or two for the COPS to complete?  Is this
>> > a CDMA or a GSM BB?  Does this one have worldmode?
>> >
>> > Dan
>> >

>> Here you go:
>> AT+IMSI:
>>
>> ERROR
>>
>> AT+COPS=?:
>> +COPS: (2,,AT&T,310410),(2,,AT&T,310410),,(0,1),(1,2)
>>
>> OK
>>
>> As for Global devices I can get access to one and find out how it
>> looks but I won't be able to try it roaming.   Doesn't the device get
>> all the details via the GSM sim card and then the AT+COPS command will
>> say who the provider is and we get the APN from the Broadband
>> Assistant database?
>
> What we're interested in is how it switches between CDMA and GSM.
> You'll always have the SIM card in, so perhaps the phone tries to find
> Verizon/Sprint first, then switches over to scanning for GSM providers
> on its GSM900/GSM1800 bands.  What I'm really curious about is how to
> find out what mode it's in (CDMA or GSM) at the time, and if there's a
> way to detect when it switches.
>
> Can you run AT+COPS? too?  Running AT+COPS=? actually performs the scan
> which can take minutes to complete.  I guess I just need to find one of
> these types of devices and interrogate it myself :)  There's a whole
> host of commands we can use but often phones implement a small subset of
> the specs.
>
> Dan

Here you go (This is from a ATT Bold):
+COPS: 0,2,310410

OK

I am not going to be overseas until next year and with travel being
reduced here I may not get a chance to have someone test remotely
until then but here are the same commands for a Blackberry Storm.

Storm 9530:

ATi:

Manufacturer: Research In Motion
Model: 9530
Revision: OS Ver: 4.0.0.181  [May 13 2009 22:53:31]
ESN: 0x80986ECB
+GCAP: +CIS707-A, CIS-856, +MS, +ES, +DS, +FCLASS, CIS-856-A

AT+COPS=?

ERROR

AT+IMSI:

ERROR

AT+COPS?:

ERROR

The Storm seems to auto-detect the location you are in and Roams to
GSM automatically but I can't be sure what the changes are for that
since it wouldn't let me force it to Roam here.