Re: Question regarding the features for the next release

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 13:22 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Dan Williams<dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> >> That is probably something someone will just have to know based on
> >> something like broadband assistant?   Or will it be possible to create
> >> a connection manually to the device and select if it is CDMA or GSM?
> >> I know that isn't the most user friendly option though...
> >
> > No, it's certainly not.  We also don't know how to switch the BBs from
> > CDMA to GSM, or how to find out if they are in CDMA or GSM mode at the
> > time of connection.  Can you run:
> >
> > AT+IMSI
> > AT+COPS=?
> >
> > for me and wait like a minute or two for the COPS to complete?  Is this
> > a CDMA or a GSM BB?  Does this one have worldmode?
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Here you go:
> AT+IMSI:
>
> ERROR
>
> AT+COPS=?:
> +COPS: (2,,AT&T,310410),(2,,AT&T,310410),,(0,1),(1,2)
>
> OK
>
> As for Global devices I can get access to one and find out how it
> looks but I won't be able to try it roaming.   Doesn't the device get
> all the details via the GSM sim card and then the AT+COPS command will
> say who the provider is and we get the APN from the Broadband
> Assistant database?

What we're interested in is how it switches between CDMA and GSM.
You'll always have the SIM card in, so perhaps the phone tries to find
Verizon/Sprint first, then switches over to scanning for GSM providers
on its GSM900/GSM1800 bands.  What I'm really curious about is how to
find out what mode it's in (CDMA or GSM) at the time, and if there's a
way to detect when it switches.

Can you run AT+COPS? too?  Running AT+COPS=? actually performs the scan
which can take minutes to complete.  I guess I just need to find one of
these types of devices and interrogate it myself :)  There's a whole
host of commands we can use but often phones implement a small subset of
the specs.