Re: New icons for nm-applet

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 17:22 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 17:11 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:

> > > Yes, that's what I replied to it with.  The code has "layers", and there
> > > are currently two layers: device and VPN.  We can certainly add a mobile
> > > broadband layer in which the mobile broadband badge goes.  Just need to
> > > figure out where in the icon area that should go so it doesn't conflict
> > > with the VPN lock.  Because you certainly can have an active VPN over
> > > cellular.
> >
> > Urgh, now we're starting to have problems... Colours are obviously going
> > to be better as long as there is detailed explanation somewhere of what
> > they mean. Mockups attached for discussion.
> >
> > vpn-umts.svg - My first impression of this is that it's starting to get
> > crowded, and I can make the padlock smaller but loose detail which I
> > feel is critical.
> >
> > vpn-umts2.svg - Slightly less crowded and more appealing I feel, only
> > 3px tall to denote the technology, so we'll have to use vibrant colours
> > which aren't in the tango palette :/
>
> Thinking in these terms now, and maybe the signal strength bars can be
> altered too...

this is just my own opinion, but i kinda like the icon style that looks
a bit more like radio waves [1] better as they are symmetrical and look
more like something is transmitted over the air than the current bars
that stand next to each other, aligned at the bottom.
i'd like to see such icons in NM and would like to know your opinion on
this.

greets,
Björn

[1]