Re: New icons for nm-applet

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 12:50 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > Probably, but I'd rather do some sketches of some other ideas, I mean
> > > it's only one image which is used as an overlay, so that one could be
> > > fixed easily, but I'm thinking now in terms of the progress meter for
> > > vpn.
> > >
> > > Maybe if we are moving the padlock down, then I could use icons which
> > > are similar to the standard connecting animation but instead of a dot a
> > > keyhole or something instead.
> > >
> > > I'm mulling it, there's some space for flexibility.
> > >
> > > Hopefully i can knock up some updated icons today, and while i'm at it
> > > classify them into sizes for 16,22 and 24
> >
> > Actually as the padlock is composited we could probably benefit from
> > compositing the icons for gsm/gprs, edge, umts, hsdpa and anything else
> > that comes along, maybe the recently submitted patch should be updated
> > to work in these terms?
>
> Yes, that's what I replied to it with.  The code has "layers", and there
> are currently two layers: device and VPN.  We can certainly add a mobile
> broadband layer in which the mobile broadband badge goes.  Just need to
> figure out where in the icon area that should go so it doesn't conflict
> with the VPN lock.  Because you certainly can have an active VPN over
> cellular.

Urgh, now we're starting to have problems... Colours are obviously going
to be better as long as there is detailed explanation somewhere of what
they mean. Mockups attached for discussion.

vpn-umts.svg - My first impression of this is that it's starting to get
crowded, and I can make the padlock smaller but loose detail which I
feel is critical.

vpn-umts2.svg - Slightly less crowded and more appealing I feel, only
3px tall to denote the technology, so we'll have to use vibrant colours
which aren't in the tango palette :/

BR,