Re: New icons for nm-applet

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 22:24 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 12:59 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:14 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I've always loathed the icons shipped with fedora for network manager,
> > > they just don't seem to fit with our current gnome look.
> > >
> > > Over the weekend I sat and drew up some new icons, they're inspired a
> > > bit by jimmac's new icons for suse as seen here
> > > http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=NetworkManager
> > >
> > > I've only done these icons in 24x24 but could do 22x22 and 16x16 if
> > > asked *really* nicely :)
> >
> > Yep, I've seen these, there's a bug open for them on gnome.org, but
> > there's on objection I have:  the "progress" icon re-uses the signal
> > strength bars as the progress meter, which is confusing.  If the
> > progress icons were re-done using the spinning balls or some other
> > indicator, then I'd do another eval and they might just get committed...
> > jimmac declined to spend time on that.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Did you by any chance take a look at the icons I drew?
>
> > > You can grab the icons from here;
> > > http://www.wine-doors.org/releases/nm-applet-icons.tar.gz

Sorry about that, lots 'o mail.  I suck.  Yours look better, thanks :)

One question though: the vpn connecting icons are intended to be
composited on top of the existing connection icon, and the ones you drew
are centered, thus they would obscure whatever connection icon was
underneath.  Is that intended?  Any chance you could see what they look
like with the padlock in the lower-right corner instead?  The progress
circle might need to be darker (or have a color and a bit more
saturation) so that it stands out against the blue of the WiFi signal
bars, not sure exactly how you might want to do that.

Thanks!