Re: intel pro wireless 3945ABG + Feisty Ubuntu + F7t4

Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 10:13 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
Dan,

FYI, for kicks I decided to install and try the ipw3945 drivers
on my F7t4 system.  I installed ipw3945 packages from DAG with
a few changes:

  * I installed version 1.7.22 of the ipw3945 daemon (no change)
  * I updated the firmware from version 1.13 to 1.14.2
  * I added the ipw3845-oops-4 patch from the 1.2.1 test release to
    the 1.2.0 dkms package from DAG.

Ok, so this is the older "softmac" driver, right?  Not the new
mac80211-based driver?  "softmac" drivers are known to work better
because they've had a much longer time to bake than mac80211 has.

Dan

Yeah, it's the softmac ipw3945 driver, instead of the iwlwifi driver.
The former seems much more stable in my (few) tests.  But I'm away
from that laptop for the next week (I didn't get it fully configured
before I had to fly to CA) so I wont be able to do any more testing
for the next week.

I'm also not surprised that the older driver is more stable, but I
was hoping that iwlwifi would at least work a little.  I'll try again
in future releases.

-derek

      warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available