Re: Does anyone understand NetworkManager?

David Abrahams <dave boost-consulting com> writes:

>> I note that when I disconnect a network cable I see the following:
>>
>>   ** (nm-applet:6496): WARNING **: <WARNING>
>>      nm_dbus_send_with_callback_replied (): Error: couldn't find
>>      pending call 0x829ed88 in tracking table.
>>
>> Actually the hex number (address?) changes each time I
>> connect/disconnect the cable.
>>
>> What's the next step?
>
> Oh, here's some additional data:
>
> Each time I have rebooted with an ethernet cable attached and then
> disconnected the cable, it asked me for my keyring password almost
> immediately and connects to the network in a few seconds.  I think raw
> wpa_supplicant is faster, but it was close.
>
> On the first reboot:
>
>   I reconnected the cable and it connected back to the wired network
>
>   I disconected the cable and it tried to connect to the wireless
>   network, but failed.  I couldn't get it to connect wirelessly
>   thereafter, even by explicitly choosing the network
>
> On the second reboot:
>
>   I reconnected the cable and it connected back to the wired network
>
>   I disconected the cable (possibly slightly more quickly this time)
>   and it apparently failed to notice.  The icon in the notification
>   area still showed me connected to the wired network.  I couldn't get
>   it to connect wirelessly thereafter, even by explicitly choosing the
>   network, *AND* I couldn't get it to notice the wire being removed
>   either.
>
> On the third reboot, I started with no network cable connected, but
> the experience was the same as with the first reboot, starting where I
> disconnected the cable.

and finally,

1. it seems as though I can always reconnect reliably by doing

      sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

2. I have two access points on this network with the same SSID.
   Sometimes it will connect to the one that's further away, so the
   reception is weak.  That happens under Windows, too, FWIW.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting