Re: [Nautilus-list] Some things I'd like to see (changed) in Nautilus

Dear Tuomas,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 01:08:47AM +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> I think devices should just line up on top right corner, from top to
> bottom in a row as they appear.

No! Please! :-D

I'm an avid user of gkrellm and I *need* gKrellm to be in the top right corner ;-). What's wrong with remembering the place were the devices were last time?

> I am trying to have a neutral approach to nautilus, it is a new thing,
> so I try to learn how it works, not trying to bend it around my own
> usage patterns. There are many ways to do a task most of the time.

Why should I adapt my "usage patterns" to fit my software? I'm the one *using* the software! Having the ability to customize everything, to fit my style, is what I like about Linux!

I like to believe I'm pretty open-minded towards new approaches, though, I've learned to use Vim, LaTex & Mutt, instead of Notepad, MS Word & Pegasus Mail. And I'm really glad I did! ;-)

But I think there's a bigger, fundamental difference between Vim/Word, than there is between "Having your icons line up on the top right corner" and "Having your icons were you want them". Icon placement sounds pretty cosmetic to me. Same goes for those device icons appearing on the desktop in the first place, I think.

Please Tuomas, don't take this the wrong way, I think you're basically right; we should keep an open mind towards new software, but there is very big difference between learning new software that has proven itself and learning to live with annoying "features" of a pretty new file manager.

Best regards,

Bas Leerintveld

--