[Nautilus-list] Some things I'd like to see (changed) in Nautilus

Hi People,

Thank you very much for reading this ;-), you'll probably get hundreds of msgs like this every day :-). I have just installed 1.0.5 on my box and it's there to stay. :-) But there are a couple of things I find weird about Nautilus;

1. Why can't I change the trash icon by right clicking? If I want to use the gnome-theme with the default trash icon, I have to hack the .xml theme files a little, it's not difficult, but it's not intuitive either.

2. My background is basicly a large gray central area with black bars above/below. Because the gray area is quite large Nautilus thinks it's ok to use black text with the icons, but I'd like my icons to be on the black bars. Black-on-black is not exactly readable; why can't I change this behaviour? Why can't I select the color to use for the text below those desktop icons?

3. I'm not really a fan of "trash cans", when I want to delete a file, I want it to be gone. Not moved. But thus far I have not found a way to change Nautilus' behaviour of moving stuff, when I press the "delete" key, to something more useful. I know I can add an option to the right-click menu to delete files properly, but I'd rather just hit a key, instead of right-clicking -> left-clicking. (or stress my fingers by hitting shift-delete).

4. Every time when I unmount some CD, it gets ejected! Why-oh-why? (and how do I change that?)

5. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but besides the expert mode, I'd really like to see some sort of control-freak-mode...

I've only been using Nautilus for about 3 hours or so, so I bet I'll find some more things to be picky about. ;-) *OUCH!* (Bas gets hit on the head with a GNOME/GTK programming guide). Oh well, I've been thinking about learning GNOME/GTK a bit more for a while now, and with Nautilus I might have found something I could learn the basics and do something useful? Does anybody know if some of the stuff I suggested can be easily implemented by a relative newbie? (who hacked a little in GRip & Gsnes - never submitted anything btw).

Best regards & thanks in advance,

Bas Leerintveld

--