Re: [Nautilus-list] Some things I'd like to see (changed) in Nautilus

On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 02:18, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-10-21 at 12:31, George Farris wrote:
>     I also prefer this type of behavior.  I think new uses can understand it
>     quicker as well.
>
> This is a pretty classic "Are you from windows or mac?" case. It depends
> what OS the "users" have had experience with earlier. It doesnt make me
> confused when I insert a CD, and it appears on the desktop. Very
> logical. But I understand the windows way of thinking too, it is more
> device-centered where MacOS seems more document/media centered.
>
> We shouldnt just think "I always did it this way" - this whole file
> manager thing is very new to unix world anyway. Also, get a test drive
> of MacOS sometime if you havent used it before, it has a lot of things
> right, even when they are very different from the windows mindset.
>
> I am trying to have a neutral approach to nautilus, it is a new thing,
> so I try to learn how it works, not trying to bend it around my own
> usage patterns. There are many ways to do a task most of the time.

good point.  I think I could handle icons for media just appearing over
the place if they lined up with the rest of my icons.  as there's no way
to make your icons 'snap to grip' that the cd icons use, I don't know
any way to do this.

options would still be good for users coming from different
backgrounds.  having options which would be more windows suited would
also make adjusting easier for people coming from GMC I think.

cheers,
chris