Re: [rant] mc in Ubuntu, unusable!

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 18:34 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

I wish some distro maintainers would work more closely to upstream.
Perhaps we should encourage them to have their own branches in
our git repo. Why not giving every distro an own branch prefix ?
(doesnt necessarily mean giving everybody write access to upstream
branches). IMHO that would make things a lot easier.

Actually, I feel that you're quite right about this one. Awhile ago
there used to be a makefile to generate Debian control stuff right in
the mc main tree just as the template for RH-compatible distros which I
and Slava are keeping up to date (because this is something I am more or
less familiar with).

Now Debian stuff is broken and the package in current Debian SVN was
completely rewritten:

http://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-mc

Now that they have version control of their own, I doubt we can convince
them to use or sync with ours.

However our friendly Debian maintainers are really open to collaboration
and suggestions. So if you don't like the Debian package as it is,
you're welcome to report bugs against Debian package and hopefully they
will listen to you.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev