Re: [rant] mc in Ubuntu, unusable!

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 11:20 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. What really bewilders me is how/why they
managed to break the ability to save settings! ...

I dunno actually :-) I use custom-built binaries, because stock mc is so
crappy.

That's the workaround, not the how/why. Still, the how/why is
bothersome. Is it yet another ill-conceived and ill-understood patch
inserted by a clueless Debian maintainer, more of the same crap they
brought us with their openssl fiasco?

Well, you know, when I switched to Debian desktop after being fed up
with bringing RHEL up on the notebooks, the Debian way of rearranging
upstream stuff in a most stupid way ever really tapped on my nerves...

But in the end I've just got used to it. It was worth it in view of all
the advantages of using Debian after all...

I didn't see any package for Karmic yet. No, I can't build it myself,
that was the whole point of trying Ubuntu for the netbook anyway, so
ready-made software would be available, an apt-get away. If I'm going
to maintain a build environment for the netbook on a real machine,
that build environment (and the netbook itself) will be Slackware.

Karmic is not out yet, how come do you want me to build the package for
a non-existant distro? OK, I scheduled the build anyway, so hopefully it
will be in there tomorrow.

Anyhow, the upcoming -pre4 is really worth trying, as soon as the Debian
guys update the package I will rebuild it for Ubuntu and most probably
package fixed vte for the disappearing cursor bug that has no age...

Thanks, but I'm not sure it's worth my time. I'm really fed up with
Debian. They need to learn to leave stuff alone, if they don't
understand how it works.

What I can't understand is how come this belongs to this list. It's not
debian-haters@ or ubuntu-support@ or whatever... It's a users list for
mc and we mostly care about the stock upstream versions and not
distro-specific packages.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev