Re: [bug #18136] MC wont work with new bash-3.2 propeply with all directories.

Hello Thomas,

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 08:38 -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> One problem is that the user has to keep track (for the non-automatic
> workarounds) of the bash version.

No. Default setting of 0 (or unset) of bash_octal_digits would fallback
to option 1, which works for bash >= 2.05b (in contrast to the current
situation where by default only bash < 3.2 will work). Only users of
bash < 2.05b will have to either export BASH_VERSION (iiuc BASH_VERSINFO
is a set variable, not an environment var so unusable unless one
directly queries the subshell) or set bash_octal_digits to 3.

> Pavel's the person to talk to (I maintain other programs including
> ncurses) - my point here was noting that bash 3.2 added other problems
> which are definitely _bugs_ in bash, and that it would not be good to cite
> "3.2" itself as a good example, but to focus on the feature.

The issue of the octal length is independent of any bugs in bash 3.2 and
will also exist for later versions.

Leonard.