Re: [bug #18136] MC wont work with new bash-3.2 propeply with all directories.

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 11:45 +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
IMO, if you intend to work on a fix you should follow the
suggestion of the bash maintainer to switch over to using
"printf" - not only for bash but for all cases.  Of course
a fallback may be required. After all according to bash
maintainer:

   "Use of `echo' in portable applications has been deprecated for years."

See: http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-bash gnu org/msg02150.html

Yes, I read that comment. However I'm not prepared to start breaking the
functionality of shells that I never use.

This is a rather strange statement. As a developer you should try to
go beyond your personal preferences. Changes to the subshell shall be
tested with all supported shells and on as many platforms as possible.
From Chet Ramey's statement it is clear that using printf is the right
thing to do.