Re: Campaign Proposal

Nelson:

As I suggested before, why don't we pick animals that have recovered
from being extinct, such as the bald eagle, the grizzly bear, the
gray wolf, the green sea turtle, or the Florida panther?

Did we had a role in that recovery? That option doesn't provide it.
While we can act on a positive way, actually doing something, we should
turn out backs to it and go for the easier way? That's a fine a example
we give to our free contributors. Messes with my ethical senses. I do
like victory knots on my belt, but only if I contributed for them.
Why should we advertise other people's work? Do we benefit anything from
it?

Many people will likely not understand the connection between the image
of an animal with the cause unless it is explained to them.  For
example, I wasn't aware that most of the animals mentioned were
particular in danger until they were mentioned in this discussion.

So, I imagined that the campaign would include information to accompany
the release which would explain the connection, to provide people with
links to promote the cause, and to encourage people to donate.  I think
the message could work regardless of whether the image is of a
particular animal that is currently endangered with instructions on how
to help, or if the image is of a "saved" animal with instructions on
how to help save other endangered animals.  As long as the information
provided to the users is honest and works to promote a good cause, I
would think people would be empathetic.

I wanted to raise my concerns about using the image of an endangered
animal for people to think about.  But, I would just ignore my concerns
since it seems that others don't feel that this is a real issue to
worry about.

That doesn't sound like a cause to me, just some plain cheap obtained
interest. We should show commitment (as our developers show to us), and
not trying to cut some slack on other peoples work.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we take advantage of other
people's work in any bad or malicious way.

Brian