Re: Campaign Proposal

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 10:36 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> > Yeah, that's what I meant, "GNOME 2.30: The Philosophical Panther", that
> > style of naming.
>
> I really like the idea of federating the art community around GNOME and
> DeviantArt and helping make it more visible, and also help grow it.
>
> I appreciate that it's a nice idea to adopt humanitarian causes as a way
> of having some of the good feelings people have for them to rub off on us.
>
> But I really don't like the whole endangered species angle. Let me
> explain why:
>
> I have some more suggestions for names: "Lucid Lynx", "Intrepid Ibex",
> "Jaunty Jackalope", "Hardy Heron"...
>
> I don't mean to put a kybosh on the idea altogether, but the animal name
> thing isn't really original, given Ubuntu.

 I couldn't care less. Point me some originality in Ubuntu, and I can
consider my position.

> And the iLynx suggestion in the original proposal seems a but Applish,
> no? In addition to the "iSomething" convention, Apple has used Cheetah,
> Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard as OS X release
> codenames, so choosing a big cat doesn't seem like a good idea.

I've supplied alternatives. I've choosen the Iberian Lynx as a form to
translate my thoughts because he lives in Portugal and Spain and he is
my neighbor. Didn't felt like loosing time searching for other species.
I did flavoured a national cause (Portugal and Spain), because I am
Portuguese.

> One other negative remark - do we really want to have GNOME associated
> with extinct or almost extinct animals? While the Siberian Tiger, the
> Iberian Lynx, the Javan Rhino and the Mountain Gorilla make for nice
> icons, there are almost none left, and their population is in decline.
> Is that the association we want people to make when they think of GNOME?
>
> Anyway - sorry to be the party pooper.

 Well, it's better than associating it with Genghis Kahn (aka Temujin)
the Impaler. Do I see some sense here?

 And from another point of view: http://www.unep.ch/
 It is a subject being supported by the United Nations. And even
further: http://www.unep.org/awards/ >> Do we have a GNOME Logo there?
 If such thing happened, what were the benefits GNOME would take from
it?

 My 2 cents,

 PS: I've offered alternatives, such as the Spider Monkeys and the Red
Wolfs during this thread. Spider Monkeys means fighting against the
de-florestation of the Amazonian Rain Forest, and Red Wolfs is a US
national cause. In case we aint going for the cats.

 nelson