Re: Campaign Proposal

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 09:50 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:

> And perhaps they'll remember the message because of the animal.
>
> They might forget, or not even notice, the GNOME message by itself,
> but remember the animal and the associated message.
>
> This is the whole premise behind using images in presentations. People
> remember images. Even if the association between the image and the
> message is not 100%.

Yes, I know. I studied this stuff.

So, let's think about it: Just imagine yourself back in collage, sitting
somewhere, eating a sandwich. Your eyes wander around and you spot a
poster on a near wall: There's a spider (or some other animal) in the
middle and it's says 'GNOME' in the lower right corner.

That's all you see because you have better things to do -- eating your
sandwich, for example, and then going back to your studies.

In good campaigns, images are meant to convey a certain message. A
successful example was Esso's 'Put a tiger in your tank':

 * http://www.adslogans.co.uk/hof/ad_esso.html
 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qot-tlLrw
 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q0BQV6s0w

As a metaphor, it's immediately clear what the message is. You didn't
even need to see the image -- the slogan/tagline was absolutely
sufficient!

And it was hugely successful as far as I know. After all, it was used
for over 25 years which is quite some time in advertising.

However, we're discussing the idea of picking images around a certain
theme and then ... what?

What was the message, again?

GNOME is a spider? GNOME cares about spiders? Spiders are cute?

Do we really have the money, the time, and the resources to promote
other humanitarian causes besides our own one?

I know I don't.

Regards,
Claus