Re: Tuxmagazine

Hi,

Steve George a écrit :
Conventional wisdom says you should pick a single segment and
concentrate on that one only.

Well, let's say at most 2 :)

Users
=====
As these are early adoptors the 'power' mantra is a significant
factor.  GNOME pushes simplicity.  So the value should be about being
'powerful enough to do what you want, simple enough to be usable'
similar to the 'simple things are easy, hard things are possible'.

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of where GNOME has its biggest market opportunity. GNOME is not for tuners. GNOME is the desktop that doesn't get in the way when you want to get some work done. And more and more, power users I know are looking for that from a desktop. These are the über-geeks who are buying macs en-masse. We want them dual booting Ubuntu. Or keeping their PCs with GNOME on them.

I know that I like using GNOME, because I don't have to think about it. I don't need to spend a weekend after I install it getting everything just the way I like it.

As we specifically want users who are active then you can push the
freedom, community and involvement aspects of the project.

Sure, some of these aspects can figure in a campaign, but I don't think they should be the central element.

It would be interesting to see what particular qualities of GNOME
actual normal users like!

I really think it's "Elegant, easy to learn, easy to use".

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary