Re: Tuxmagazine

Hi,

This is such a key question, and the answer I think GNOME is giving
doesn't make sense to me.

The lack of consensus on this issue is what leads to the questions of
why GNOME is no fun to hack on anymore and what language people want
to use.  The mistake of targeting the user group I think GNOME is
going for is why the majority of magazines/user-sites believe that KDE
is best.

It seems to me that strong influences over GNOME want to develop the
desktop towards the user group of tomorrow rather than the existing
users of today.  That is to say the focus is on the normal/ordinary
'call-centre' users.  The issue with this is that it's completely
ignoring the actual users of today - which are hackers, early adoptors
and technical geeks.

You ignore your existing users (your base) at great risk.   It's makes
you irrelevant in the current market place and since the early
adoptors are the key influencers for the later users it removes the
likelihood of you being relevant tomorrow.  And, the fact of the
matter is that most 'normal' users live with non-optimal solutions in
computing so if they land up using a different solution they won't
know/care there's anything better or bother to try it out.

Is everyone in GNOME clear about who the target market segment is and
how it impacts the project?

Steve