Re: Tuxmagazine

Hi Dave,

I can see where the target market page is going.

Conventional wisdom says you should pick a single segment and
concentrate on that one only.

One way to cut down the list is to consider whether other elements of
our community are already marketing to them.  So for example
enterprise customers and public sector are covered by the
distributions - and neither of these markets would use GNOME directly
anyway, they would use a distribution for support etc.

Potential contributors is essentially an enduser early adoptor
segment.  Understand why you see them as potential contributors, which
is important.  I would define them more tightly and look at what they
get from using GNOME - so segment by behaviour/values.

Users
=====
As these are early adoptors the 'power' mantra is a significant
factor.  GNOME pushes simplicity.  So the value should be about being
'powerful enough to do what you want, simple enough to be usable'
similar to the 'simple things are easy, hard things are possible'.

As we specifically want users who are active then you can push the
freedom, community and involvement aspects of the project.

It would be interesting to see what particular qualities of GNOME
actual normal users like!

Developers
=========
There is definitely space for pushing into developers and ISV's.
Again I think distributions are best placed to go after the commercial
entities.  Consequently, GNOME the project should go after
individuals.  Mono shows the way to build mindshare here with
documentation, tools and buzz.

Again would be interesting to see what real users in this group value