Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

<quote who="Luis Villa">

> I'd be fairly happy if we can figure out a way such that an installed
> liveCD 'becomes' an Ubuntu install with very slight default changes at the
> first update.

Breezy will ship with "Ubuntu Express", which is a LiveCD based installer,
which will happily install whatever is on the LiveCD. Testing installations
from the heavily modified GNOME LiveCD will make sure that it works beyond
what the Ubuntu developers will be concentrating on (for the first release,
it's unlikely they'll be testing modified LiveCDs very much).

> That's actually tricky ATM, because we remove many default Ubuntu packages
> that are wasteful, which means that Ubuntu might not consider such an
> install an 'Ubuntu' install, and be reluctant to support it. [There are
> more details to why this is, but I don't feel like writing them out now;
> I'm in class ;)]

I don't think that's a huge problem, because in the end, it's still using
Ubuntu binaries from the standard repositories (at least so far - I can see
this changing down the track). There will be some odd non-package-managed
muck due to the customisations, but that's not a huge cross to bear. Then,
if a user wanted to switch to a standard Ubuntu install, he or she could
just install the standard metapackages. Presto. :-)

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

           "It's weird being without white noise." - Catie Flick