Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

On 7/25/05, Marcus Bauer <marcus bauer gmail com> wrote:
> Hey, have I lately talked about KLA? :) Did I mention that they are
> spreading out 50.000 copies to schools in France? They are two and a
> half part time developers. There are no timely security updates.

I'd be embarassed if I were them, if what you say is true, and I would
be absolutely horrified if GNOME did the same. We have a reputation of
quality, and consciously attaching our name to an OS that we don't
intend to support well (in all meanings of that word) is embarassing.

> My guess is that the average hackers wants as many people to use his
> software as possible. That is kind of applause for the artist :)
> GNOME does not need to become a distribution by itself it simply can
> plug to something existing.

I'd be fairly happy if we can figure out a way such that an installed
liveCD 'becomes' an Ubuntu install with very slight default changes at
the first update. That's actually tricky ATM, because we remove many
default Ubuntu packages that are wasteful, which means that Ubuntu
might not consider such an install an 'Ubuntu' install, and be
reluctant to support it. [There are more details to why this is, but I
don't feel like writing them out now; I'm in class ;)]

Luis