Re: Wiki best practices

<quote who="Dave Neary">

> This is a very useful way to identify grouped pages with a namespace, and
> it's particularly useful if a great number of disparate groups are sharing
> the same wiki (as is our case).
>
> However, going beyong 2 levels is ususally not a good idea, and going to 4
> is definitely a bad idea.
>
> I would like to have the time to clean up the wiki in the near future, but
> realistically, until August I'm in maintenance mode. If someone wanted to
> take up the charge in the meantime, that would be great.

Thanks for bringing this up, it has been annoying the hell out of me, too.
Please everyone, *only use namespacing when namespacing is required*!

> For
> example,
>
> MarketingTeam/EventsOrganisation/GnomeEventBox/SuggestedCosts
>
> could move to
> MarketingTeam/GnomeEventBoxCosts
>
> or even
> MarketingTeam/EventBoxCosts
>
> and it would be linked to from
> MarketingTeam/EventBox

Even better, just use "EventBox", because it doesn't need to be namespaced
away. Namespacing what the hierarchy is for, not for general organisation.

> Our wiki has gotten to the stage where linking to deep pages (and
> handling the wiki text with lots of "../../../"s) has gotten more
> complicated than the benefit of the hierarchy.

Strongly agree. It is totally unnecessary.

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

   "People who paid for bug fixes in the 3c501 driver also bought MacIIfx
                      support contracts..." - Alan Cox