Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

On 7/25/05, Marcus Bauer <marcus bauer gmail com> wrote:
> On 7/26/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
> > On 7/25/05, Marcus Bauer <marcus bauer gmail com> wrote:
> > > Hey, have I lately talked about KLA? :) Did I mention that they are
> > > spreading out 50.000 copies to schools in France? They are two and a
> > > half part time developers. There are no timely security updates.
> >
> > I'd be embarassed if I were them, if what you say is true, and I would
> > be absolutely horrified if GNOME did the same. We have a reputation of
> > quality, and consciously attaching our name to an OS that we don't
> > intend to support well (in all meanings of that word) is embarassing.
>
> Yes and no. GNOME can't do it because they are playing in a different
> league. But it is worth to look for a way to get onto the harddisk
> once the CD is in the drive.

We absolutely will (already do) include a list of places to get full
OSes that default, which is a start. I think in the future we'll have
a link to davyd's footware page. But I won't get on the harddrive if
we're not prepared for it.

> > > My guess is that the average hackers wants as many people to use his
> > > software as possible. That is kind of applause for the artist :)
> > > GNOME does not need to become a distribution by itself it simply can
> > > plug to something existing.
> >
> > I'd be fairly happy if we can figure out a way such that an installed
> > liveCD 'becomes' an Ubuntu install with very slight default changes at
> > the first update. That's actually tricky ATM, because we remove many
> > default Ubuntu packages that are wasteful, which means that Ubuntu
> > might not consider such an install an 'Ubuntu' install, and be
> > reluctant to support it.
>
> I think it would be surprising if nobody would like to benefit from
> GNOMEs marketing efforts.

Realistically at this point all the major GNOME distros have bigger
marketing efforts than we do, some dramatically so. We're much more
likely to get interest in this direction from smaller/newer distros
(like foresight), which is not necessarily a bad thing, actually. Just
don't expect our 100K downloads last cycle to interest Ubuntu (which
had 2M of hoary, in basically the same time span.)

Luis