Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

On 7/28/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > I'd be fairly happy if we can figure out a way such that an installed
> > liveCD 'becomes' an Ubuntu install with very slight default changes at the
> > first update.
>
> Breezy will ship with "Ubuntu Express", which is a LiveCD based installer,
> which will happily install whatever is on the LiveCD. Testing installations
> from the heavily modified GNOME LiveCD will make sure that it works beyond
> what the Ubuntu developers will be concentrating on (for the first release,
> it's unlikely they'll be testing modified LiveCDs very much).

FWIW, it's not terribly heavily modified- just different package set +
some artwork + a handful of gconf keys at this point. That said, I
have been finding bugs and getting them to Seb, so we are helping get
things in shape. [Also, since there are no x86 liveCD builds ATM,
AFAICT there is no way for me to actually test Ubuntu Express at this
point.]

> > That's actually tricky ATM, because we remove many default Ubuntu packages
> > that are wasteful, which means that Ubuntu might not consider such an
> > install an 'Ubuntu' install, and be reluctant to support it. [There are
> > more details to why this is, but I don't feel like writing them out now;
> > I'm in class ;)]
>
> I don't think that's a huge problem, because in the end, it's still using
> Ubuntu binaries from the standard repositories (at least so far - I can see
> this changing down the track).

Yeah, this is a distinct possibility in the future, though thankfully
not yet a requirement.

> There will be some odd non-package-managed
> muck due to the customisations, but that's not a huge cross to bear. Then,
> if a user wanted to switch to a standard Ubuntu install, he or she could
> just install the standard metapackages. Presto. :-)

Yeah, perhaps we could say 'if you want the install to be supported,
install these meta-packages' and just leave it at that?

Luis