Re: [LaTeXila] Bug in Ubuntu Beta Builds?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:16:41AM +0100, Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) wrote:
> @Sebastien, any idea? :)

I looked at the Vala code and at the C code generated, and I don't
understand what goes wrong.

Is the bug always reproducible? Or the bug occurs only randomly?

Is the package in the PPA compiled with the C code generated from the
tarball, or the Vala code is recompiled? If the C code is regenerated
from Vala, which valac version exactly?

The call to the function gtk_source_view_get_completion() generates a
critical message saying that the parameter "self" is not of the type
GtkSourceView. But the lines above call other gtk_source_view_*
functions, with the same "self", and for them there is no problem,
"self" is a GtkSourceView.

So a possibility is that there is a dangling reference (the variable
"self" is still reachable but has been reclaimed). In this case, it's a
bug in Vala. But when reading the C code, I don't see why the variable
would be reclaimed… Also, with a dangling ref, the bug should occur
randomly, and should occur with the version compiled from the tarball
too.

Maybe the compilation options of GCC? Which version of GCC? But the
chance that the problem comes from the "-O2" optimization is very very
small.

So, I don't know. It's also difficult since neither me nor Matthieu can
reproduce the bug.