[guadec-list] Registration fees (was Re: Terms and conditions for registration)

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:53:26AM +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Indeed, a registration fee itself isn't the big problem. But the concept
> that some sort of high elite price (because that is what €100 and €200
> still is; the European currency hasn't inflated that much yet) must be
> paid "just because <insert a bunch of false-reasons>", is wrong.

Ok, i was going to ignore this thread because there's a lot of FUD and
bikeshedding potential and that's a waste of my time.

But apparently i haven't re-iterated this enough:

- there is NO MANDATORY ENTRANCE FEE!!
- i repeat, THERE IS NO MANDATORY ENTRANCE FEE!!!!!!!!!!!
- there is no formal verification or any need to present proof that
  you are not a professional or are a student or whatever, the
  fees are a suggestion, and we won't not let you in because you are
  a professional but didn't pay
- we count on a very small proportion of the visitors paying the
  EUR 100,- or EUR 250,-
- the amount we get with registration fees is expected to cover for
  about 15% - 20% of the travel sponsorships, sponsors pay for the
  rest
- EUR 100,- is not a lot of money for a 3-day (5-day) conference, i'd
  happily pay that (i'm self-employed, and not rich because i'm a
  silly idealist who volunteers too much)
- comparing the hague to Istanbul is silly, price levels are very
  very different

Gr,

Koen