Re: Performance of many widgets

On 22 December 2010 20:16, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
> did you try different themes yet? these can have a VERY dramatic
> impact on drawing speed. my main application is more or less unusable
> on certain backends with certain themes, because the themes are so
> slow and use functions that are not efficiently implemented in the
> backend

This is very true. The default gtk theme uses plain X11 draw calls
(though actually I think this all goes through cairo now), is hideous
(to modern eyes), but fast. Many themes compose sets of bitmaps to
draw the widgets, which can be slow on graphics cards with little
off-screen memory. Most modern themes use cairo to draw gradient
effects and this will be appallingly slow on many elderly graphics
drivers,

Try the default gtk theme and see if that's also slow.

John