Re: Performance of many widgets

Performance really decreases in my experience with large resolutions and older hardware.  Try it with an older 1GHz shared graphics card machine at 1024x768 with just 40 buttons spread out and it takes 3/4 a second to a second.  No need to try it with thousands.  Try it with 40 on a large screen.

Any UI response more than a tenth of a second is unacceptable.

What is the most practical way to speed this up?  I know I can blit to the screen much faster than this according to x11perf
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Bill O'Connor <billyoc gmail com> wrote:
Brian Phelps <lm317t gmail com> writes:

> I am sure there is a better way, but I am trying to do manipulate many toggle
> buttons in a window similar to the attached example.
>
> I need to know how to speed it up.   I have tried a few things like using
> gtk_widget_queue_draw(), but I doubt I did it correctly.
>
> I was thinking I needed to do something with an expose event somehow so that
> they group together, but I don't have a clue where to start.
>
> Thanks for looking at this

Man, I ran that code with four *thousand* buttons, and it still only
took one *second* to toggle them all.  How fast do you want it to go?!