Re: Performance of many widgets

If anything the graphics card hardware may be amplifying inefficiencies in how the 40-50 widgets are updated.  x11perf putrect says the hardware is plenty fast enough to update the same area in way less than a 1/10 of a sec, like 1/100

x11perf putrect confirms this with its results, updating the same area in a fraction of the time my gtk toggles do.  I'm pretty sure the graphics hardware can handle updating this area plenty fast enough.

I take it there is no way to practical way to fix this by creating some custom widget?

Also yes I have tried turning off double buffering.  It makes no difference.