Performance of many widgets

I am sure there is a better way, but I am trying to do manipulate many toggle buttons in a window similar to the attached example.

I need to know how to speed it up.   I have tried a few things like using gtk_widget_queue_draw(), but I doubt I did it correctly.

I was thinking I needed to do something with an expose event somehow so that they group together, but I don't have a clue where to start.

Thanks for looking at this