Re: [gtk-list] Problems compiling in HP

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:25:09 +0200, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
> >   On our SGI's with IRIX6.5 it turned out to be not a good idea to compile
> > glib/gtk with SGI's C compiler. The resulting gtk version only worked halfway
> > and I remeber, that there was some hacking necessary to get it to compile. So I
> > suggest to use gcc before you start brushing up the source too much. Pretending
> > on cc may result in a not fully functional gtk.
>
> What kind of compiler did you use? The SGI MipsPRO C compiler comes in
> three flavours: 32, n32 and 64. In my experience, the n32 and 64 compilers
> are better than the 32 compiler. I once succesfully compiled (and used it
> for GIMP) GTK < 1.0.0 version with the n32 compiler without any problems,
> while the 32 compiler did not like the code at all. I haven't tried
> compiling a newer GTK version with MipsPRO C, because I use gcc in my
> project anyway.
>
> But you are correct: using a decent C compiler like gcc certainly helps.

	First of all thanks to all that have tryied to help me with
comments.
	I have seen that the gcc compiler is installed in the system,
under /usr/local/bin while the cc compiler (which seems to be the default
as it is in the $CC enviroment variable) is in /usr/bin. When I run
configure I get:

checking host system type... hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.01
checking build system type... hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.01
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib

checking for gcc... (cached) cc   <--------------------IS THIS CORRECT?

checking whether the C compiler (cc -Aa -z -DANSI -D_INCLUDE_XOPEN_SOURCE
-I/usr/include/Motif1.2 -I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/local/imsl/include )
works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc -Aa -z -DANSI -D_INCLUDE_XOPEN_SOURCE
-I/usr/include/Motif1.2 -I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/local/imsl/include )
is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) no
checking whether cc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for non-GNU ld... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) no
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -p

	The question is now, how can specify to glib which compiler
should use? I guess this should be done when executing  configure but I
haven't found the option to that in the configure help.

	Thanks again in advance.

							Antonio Moro