Re: [gtk-list] Re: Problems compiling in HP

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:25:09 +0200, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
>   On our SGI's with IRIX6.5 it turned out to be not a good idea to compile
> glib/gtk with SGI's C compiler. The resulting gtk version only worked halfway
> and I remeber, that there was some hacking necessary to get it to compile. So I
> suggest to use gcc before you start brushing up the source too much. Pretending
> on cc may result in a not fully functional gtk.

What kind of compiler did you use? The SGI MipsPRO C compiler comes in
three flavours: 32, n32 and 64. In my experience, the n32 and 64 compilers
are better than the 32 compiler. I once succesfully compiled (and used it
for GIMP) GTK < 1.0.0 version with the n32 compiler without any problems,
while the 32 compiler did not like the code at all. I haven't tried
compiling a newer GTK version with MipsPRO C, because I use gcc in my
project anyway.

But you are correct: using a decent C compiler like gcc certainly helps.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl