Re: [gtk-list] Re: Problems compiling in HP

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:00:59 +0200, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
> Erik Mouw wrote:
>> What kind of compiler did you use? The SGI MipsPRO C compiler comes in
>> three flavours: 32, n32 and 64. In my experience, the n32 and 64 compilers
>> are better than the 32 compiler. I once succesfully compiled (and used it
>> for GIMP) GTK < 1.0.0 version with the n32 compiler without any problems,
>> while the 32 compiler did not like the code at all. I haven't tried
>> compiling a newer GTK version with MipsPRO C, because I use gcc in my
>> project anyway.
>
> It was not me, but a colleague of mine. He certainly used MipsPRO without any
> option, which means the n32 compiler. The runtime problems seemed to be not very
> restricting, but i.e. he was unable to allocate a writeable color. Maybe this is
> an X11 configuration error. Anyways, the safe way was to use gcc, which causes
> no problem at all.

Strange. But I have to admit that I did my test on an IRIX 6.3 box, so the
comparison is not fair.

>> But you are correct: using a decent C compiler like gcc certainly helps.
>
> It is really true, that gcc is the only compiler with a reliable front-end. I
> think this is the result of all the header-fixing stuff, that is performed when
> you install gcc. Also warnings and error messages are meaningful, which is not
> the standard as you might know.

The MipsPRO C error messages are at least "a bit cryptic", and that
certainly is one of the reasons why I use gcc on IRIX (although MipsPRO is
faster): you can actually understand its error messages and warnings. But
then again: I've seen compilers with even worse error messages like
"foo.c: error 42".

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl