Can't compile gtk-1.2.3 on Solaris

I'm trying to compile gtk-1.2.3 on Solaris 2.6 on an UltraSparc CPU.

However, I have run into a few problems. Firstly, it requires perl!

IMHO, this is a design decision that's stupid beyond belief. Since
gtk itself doesn't need perl, insisting perl is present purely for
the compile/install cycle is utterly brain dead. It means having to
download and compile several megabytes of code just to compile gtk.

Remember, gtk is a cross platform toolkit -- it's more than just
Linux only. I've happily compiled gtk-1.2.x on my Linux boxen at
home, but presumably only because perl is included out of the box
in most distributions. On proprietary Unix, this certainly isn't
the case.

What do genmarshal.pl and makeenums.pl actually do? Previous versions
of gtk didn't have them, and compiled fine on Solaris.

At the very least, if perl is required, configure should check
for it.

Like many others, I don't have permission to download stuff through
our firewall. Fortunately, I found a version of perl already available
on other machine, and gtk then compiled relatively easily (lots of
warnings about X headers, but that's what Sun ship, and not something
you can do much about :-).

The install failed with:

   ginstall: /local/common/pag/lib/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/gtk+.mo: No such file or directory

In my case, prefix=/local/common/pag. However, since I'm not particularly
bothered by international message catalogs, I tried again with:

   make -k install

to skip the errors. It failed again further through the install process,
because the Solaris "ln" barfs with the "-s -f" flags. Reversing the
order of the flags to "-f -s" works, however. Yes, it's a bug in the
Solaris "ln", but it's probably something that configure should be
checking for.

Tet

--
You have moved the mouse. NT must be restarted for the changes to take effect.