Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

Kaixo!

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 12:11:15PM +0300, Uri David Akavia wrote:

> Sure. But, the WM language should be independant from the application
> languages and format.

That has always been the case, even if almost nobody goes to the complexity
of defining different locale settings for different programs; people just
set one locale setting for everything, but it has always been possible
to launch any program (and a WM is just another program) with different
LANGUAGE and LC_ALL variables.

>> So, the default in LTR would be the scrollbar in the left; but it can be
>> overrriden, an the scrollbar will be on the other side.
>> In RTL mode the scrollbar will be on the right side, but it can be overriden,
>> and the scrollbar will be on the other side.
>
> What I mean is to keep the scrollbars on the left, eventhough all

Then, you just need to check a checkbox asking for scrollbars to be on
the opposed side.

> applications are RTL. (or scrollbars on the right in LTR). But to choose
> it in all applications, even though it isn't the default behavior.

Of course, such choice would be global (well, global to all programs sharing
a configuration of the global UI settings; eg all Gtk programs)

It will be similar to choosing a gtk theme, or some other UI behaviour.

>> It should be an option, but not a "RTL option". Just an option, like
>> choosing the color of the background.
>
> Fine by me, but it seems logical that all RTL/LTR options are grouped in
> the same place. It doesn't really matter whether or not they are
> grouped, or under what heading.

But I don't consider it to be a RTL/LTR option.
There are people with different preferences in the placement of the
scrollbars, and this thread showed that the different preferences
happen as well for RTL than for LTR people.

The only RTL/LTR option should be to override the default direction
(got from the translation of "LTR" in gtk2.mo); I don't see which other
options could exist (that are real options depending on directionality,
and not general taste options)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga