Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Another patch I've had sitting around for a while. This adds
> directional flipping to GtkScrolledWindow, so the scrollbars
> appear on the opposite side for RTL languages.
>
> Trying this out it appears a bit stranger to me then some
> of the other patches... this may just be because GtkCList and
> GtkTreeView don't properly flip properly yet either.
>
> One could make the argument:
>
>  - Putting the scrollbar on the right for LTR-languages
>    is just a convention and not a function of reading
>    direction, so there is no particular to flip it for
>    RTL language.
>
>    (I use scrollbars on theleft for emacs and terminals...)
>
> Opinions?
>                                         Owen

Those who loved NextStep know the only sane place for the scroll bar is
on the left - or at the bottom for vertical CJK :)

More seriously, what do you do when the content of the window is mixed
language? Will the scroll bar follow what is currently displayed, or a
more general sense of L-to-R or R-to-L'ness in the (possibly far larger)
overall text? It sounds to me like a recipe for quirky behaviour in many
mixed language settings.

Regards,
Steve