Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

Kaixo!

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 07:52:56PM +0300, Uri David Akavia wrote:

> > > close and minimize buttons), decide independantly whether the menus and
> > > default location should be LTR or RTL,
> >
> > What do you call "default location" ?
> What do I call the default location is the location and status of an
> application I open without a command line variable (or changes in an rc
> file). The default is what I'll choose the majority of applications to
> be, for special applications I'll use the variable.

I hadn't thought about it in fact... but yes, I think that it should follow
the directionality too, if possible; eg in LTR environment start filling
the screen from the top left corner; in RTL start filling the screen from
the top right corner.

However, it isn't as important an issue as others.

> I would prefer an rc file, so I can choose from the application and have
> it remembered to the next session.

Any good application should behave like that anyway; those that don't, or
WM/desktops that don't are likely to lack bidi support as well.

> I agree with Tzafrir that the buttons should not be mirrored, when
> changing language in an application, since it is a WM manager property.

Of course they will follow the language of the WM and not of the application
(yes, having different layouts for different title bar of different programs
on the same screen will be very bad idea).
But it must be mirrorable, if the WM is launched in RTL mode.

> It should be a WM option, perhaps some trick to reverse the theme or
> something. Most people I know will use their current setup of WM.

You already can customize title bar buttons on most (all?) modern WM;
so this is not a real issue.
The default, that is the configuration that won't need manual changes,
the one intended to the end users, must follow directionality.
Then, people like you, with special needs, could easily tailor it as they
want (it should take less than 2min to do it; gnome control center -> WM,
launch WM config tool, customize toolbar, save)

>> Now, I think indeed having the choice for scrollbars is good; and I still
>> think they should be mirrored :)
> Would it be possible to set default and specific behavior for the
> mirrorirng? (again, perhaps in an rc file?)

I see those two things (mirroring and "specific behaviour") as two different
and unrelated choices; which can combine (leading to 4 possibilities in total).

So, the default in LTR would be the scrollbar in the left; but it can be
overrriden, an the scrollbar will be on the other side.
In RTL mode the scrollbar will be on the right side, but it can be overriden,
and the scrollbar will be on the other side.

What I mean is that the code to "override default position and put the scroll
bar on the other side" will be the same regardless of the LTR or RTL layout
(the only difference will be the labelling of the text asking for such
option, as the word "right" or "left" will appear).

> If so I think it should be an option, and people will just try and see.

It should be an option, but not a "RTL option". Just an option, like
choosing the color of the background.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga