Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

On Wed, 2001-09-26 at 20:51, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> I hadn't thought about it in fact... but yes, I think that it should follow
> the directionality too, if possible; eg in LTR environment start filling
> the screen from the top left corner; in RTL start filling the screen from
> the top right corner.

I didn't mean location in a WM, I meant the location of the scrollbar
(left-right) and the langauge and format of the menus (english LTR or
hebrew RTL). Sorry if it wasn't clear.

> Of course they will follow the language of the WM and not of the application
> (yes, having different layouts for different title bar of different programs
> on the same screen will be very bad idea).
> But it must be mirrorable, if the WM is launched in RTL mode.

Sure. But, the WM language should be independant from the application
languages and format.

> >> Now, I think indeed having the choice for scrollbars is good; and I still
> >> think they should be mirrored :)
> > Would it be possible to set default and specific behavior for the
> > mirrorirng? (again, perhaps in an rc file?)
>
> I see those two things (mirroring and "specific behaviour") as two different
> and unrelated choices; which can combine (leading to 4 possibilities in total).
>
> So, the default in LTR would be the scrollbar in the left; but it can be
> overrriden, an the scrollbar will be on the other side.
> In RTL mode the scrollbar will be on the right side, but it can be overriden,
> and the scrollbar will be on the other side.

What I mean is to keep the scrollbars on the left, eventhough all
applications are RTL. (or scrollbars on the right in LTR). But to choose
it in all applications, even though it isn't the default behavior.

> What I mean is that the code to "override default position and put the scroll
> bar on the other side" will be the same regardless of the LTR or RTL layout
> (the only difference will be the labelling of the text asking for such
> option, as the word "right" or "left" will appear).
>
> > If so I think it should be an option, and people will just try and see.
>
> It should be an option, but not a "RTL option". Just an option, like
> choosing the color of the background.

Fine by me, but it seems logical that all RTL/LTR options are grouped in
the same place. It doesn't really matter whether or not they are
grouped, or under what heading.

Uri David