Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

Kaixo!

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:47:51AM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:

> > Another patch I've had sitting around for a while. This adds
> > directional flipping to GtkScrolledWindow, so the scrollbars
> > appear on the opposite side for RTL languages.

> Those who loved NextStep know the only sane place for the scroll bar is
> on the left - or at the bottom for vertical CJK :)

Did NextStep supported right to left languages ?

> More seriously, what do you do when the content of the window is mixed
> language? Will the scroll bar follow what is currently displayed, or a
> more general sense of L-to-R or R-to-L'ness in the (possibly far larger)
> overall text? It sounds to me like a recipe for quirky behaviour in many
> mixed language settings.

The place of the scrollbar must follow the general directionality layout
of all the other widgets.
If checkboxes follow directionality, if input bowes with a label follow
directionality, if pop down menus follow directionality, if position of
boutons ("ok", "cancel" etc) follow directionality, if placement of
menus in menu bar and placement of butons in title bar follow directionality,
then the scroll bar must follow directionality too.
Otherwise it is an obvious ergonomic bug.

All the above already do follow the directionality in gtk2 (well, not sure
about the title bar as it depends of the WM; but it shouldn't be too hard
to fix if it hasn't been done yet); so the scrollbar must do too.

PS: note that it is possible (or should be possible) to override the
default and global direction if the user wants otherwise; but what is sure
is that all widgets should follow the same rule, and not a strange mix
of the two.
So the patch Owen talks about must be applied imho.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975