Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:

But sooner or later a developer needs to know GLib and GObject.

I've been using GTK for 15 years. I still know very very little about GObject and I plan for it to remain that way.

For a potential book about GTK+, there can be a short chapter on GLib to
learn the basis, then an introduction to GTK+ with some basic
explanations on how to _use_ a GObject class, then a chapter to know how
to _write_ GObject classes. For what it's worth it was roughly the path
chosen in GGAD.

Writing GObject classes is not typically something that application developers will do. There are a few nice GObject-based libraries that are external to the g* stack, but not many. It really isn't central to programming with GTK. And if you use a different language binding, it becomes even less relevant.