Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:51:38PM +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
I agree with Paul here, GTK+ targets people who want to do desktop apps. I
would actually try to sell all the new stuff for developers like the new
introspection tool, the new widgets and some of the new CSS work with
snippets.

One purpose of the flyer that I had in mind is to explain what to learn
for writing a GLib/GTK+ program, providing an overview. If people have
never heard of GObject, they will look at some code and will be afraid
of all the macros and other boilerplate code that they don't understand.

The learning path for writing a GTK+ application should be: GLib ->
GObject (at least the basis) -> a bit of GIO -> and finally GTK+. All
GTK+ widgets are GObject classes! we cannot ignore GObject… For me it's
important to explain what it is, at least briefly.

Also, it's important to note that GObject was intentionally designed
with bindings in mind. It's also a selling point for many people.

In general, Linux users know what is GTK+. GLib, GObject and GIO on the
other hand are less well known, but deserve more attention (e.g. for
writing daemons, as explained in the brochure).

For the images, there is already a GNOME flyer with some screenshots if
I remember correctly, so in my opinion it's not really important to
include lots of GTK+ screenshots (but one more image at the end could be
better).

Sébastien