Re: Pure GTK vs Gnome

Hi John,

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 22:46, John K Luebs wrote:
On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:12:19PM +0200, Iago Rubio wrote:
On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 19:30, Christopher Fairbairn wrote:
I'm aware of the fact that just because a package has "gnome" in it's
name doesn't mean it won't work with out Gnome. Although it's not a very
good example, I am intending to use some contents of libegg as the bits
I desire only depend upon GTK+.

I think the best way for me to develop my app is as a straight GTK+
application, using libgnomecavnas for it's graphical content
presentation.

Not sure why you need libgnomecanvas, but it has it's dependencies:

Depends on libglade, that dependes on libgnome and libgnomeui that
depends on libgnomevfs-2, that depends on libORBit, libbonobo and
libbonobo-activation, and so on ....

So libgnomecanvas requires almost the whole gnome.

No, that's wrong.

libglade does not have a hard dependency on libgnome or libgnomeui, and
libgnomecanvas certainly does not require a GNOME capable libglade.

Dependency issues are a little more complex than just reading the output
of ldd.

Sure, but tell that to a clueless user dealig with his package manager,
that states abut the existence of those dependencies.

Finally this clueless user will need to install the whole Gnome, because
his package manager ( and the packager that builds the package ) checked
with ldd the library requeriments.

To repeat, gnomecanvas works well on win32.

Well, if you tell that I must trust you :)

But as example, to run Gnome canvas in Mac OsX with Fink, you must
update the whole system to an unstable branch.

Most Mac users will avoid it.

The clue is - right now - avoiding to use Gnome libs, meanwhile they're
not ported, you ease the portability of your program to other systems.

Is not enought gtkdrawingarea, for your requeriments ?
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkDrawingArea.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Drawing-Primitives.html#GdkDrawable

GtkDrawingArea and gnomecanvas are not the comparable at all;
one amounts to GTK wrapper around an OS Window, and the latter is
a high level drawing object kit.
Using the former when you need the latter requires you to reimplement the
functionality of the latter anyways. Seems pointless to me.

Yes that's why I ased Christopher if "it's enought" the  GtkDrawingArea
for his requeriments.

If it's enougth you don't need the later, do you ?

It don't seems so pointless to me.

ITOH, some times to implement yourself some functionality, is the only
way to reach portability.

Regards.
--
Iago Rubio                http://www.iagorubio.com
GPGkey pgp.rediris.es id 0x909BD4DD  fingerprint =