RE: Pure GTK vs Gnome

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 19:30, Christopher Fairbairn wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 23:48, Murray Cumming wrote:
If you actually look at the dependencies for libgnomecanvas instead of
just seeing the "gnome" word in the name, then you will be better
informed.

I based my opinion based upon postings in the archive for the
Gtk-sharp-list (mono) mailing list and other similar sources. Were
people more knowledgeable than me about Windows issues were siting
difficulties with libgnomecanvas.

Yes, it's true.

Re-looking at some of sites/info I
researched last night I'm aware some of those sources were rather out of
date in my haste.

AFAIK Gnome libraries are not ported to Windows, and to use Gnome libs
makes more difficult to port an application to Windows.

Gtk and dependencies, are ported in various ways and there exists even
native dlls for windows distributed under LGPL by dropline.
http://www.dropline.net/gtk/

I'm aware of the fact that just because a package has "gnome" in it's
name doesn't mean it won't work with out Gnome. Although it's not a very
good example, I am intending to use some contents of libegg as the bits
I desire only depend upon GTK+.

I think the best way for me to develop my app is as a straight GTK+
application, using libgnomecavnas for it's graphical content
presentation.

Not sure why you need libgnomecanvas, but it has it's dependencies:

Depends on libglade, that dependes on libgnome and libgnomeui that
depends on libgnomevfs-2, that depends on libORBit, libbonobo and
libbonobo-activation, and so on ....

So libgnomecanvas requires almost the whole gnome.

Is not enought gtkdrawingarea, for your requeriments ?
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkDrawingArea.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Drawing-Primitives.html#GdkDrawable

GtkPixbuf and GtkImage are also drawable:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-gdk-pixbuf.html#GdkPixbuf
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Pixbufs.html#gdk-pixbuf-render-to-drawable

The only component I am not too sure about is storage of user
configuration/preference information. Under Gnome it seems the current
recommended method is GConf, what are the common techniques in use else
where? I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak if I don't have
to.

Most people store the configuration data in xml and read it with libxml2
or expat, that's highly portable.

Sounds rude, but it's easier that I seems to be (even easier than read
it from text).

I am a bit ignorant about GUI development under Linux as a whole. I am a
bit of an odd case I suppose. I am employed to develop Win32 code for
desktops and (mostly) PDAs (as well as code for PalmOS devices) so know
their best design practices etc quite well. However outside of work I've
solely used Linux for 6+ years. I am just not fully up to speed with
development practices for GUI applications, having spent most of my time
up to now developing console based apps/service daemons.

If you use only Glib and Gtk ( and requeriments ) will be not difficult
to port those apps to Windows ( and BSD or MacOsX ), so you can use in
you daily job.

Regards.
--
Iago Rubio                http://www.iagorubio.com
GPGkey pgp.rediris.es id 0x909BD4DD  fingerprint =