Re: Pure GTK vs Gnome

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:12:19PM +0200, Iago Rubio wrote:
On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 19:30, Christopher Fairbairn wrote:
I'm aware of the fact that just because a package has "gnome" in it's
name doesn't mean it won't work with out Gnome. Although it's not a very
good example, I am intending to use some contents of libegg as the bits
I desire only depend upon GTK+.

I think the best way for me to develop my app is as a straight GTK+
application, using libgnomecavnas for it's graphical content
presentation.

Not sure why you need libgnomecanvas, but it has it's dependencies:

Depends on libglade, that dependes on libgnome and libgnomeui that
depends on libgnomevfs-2, that depends on libORBit, libbonobo and
libbonobo-activation, and so on ....

So libgnomecanvas requires almost the whole gnome.

No, that's wrong.

libglade does not have a hard dependency on libgnome or libgnomeui, and
libgnomecanvas certainly does not require a GNOME capable libglade.

Dependency issues are a little more complex than just reading the output
of ldd.

To repeat, gnomecanvas works well on win32.

Is not enought gtkdrawingarea, for your requeriments ?
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkDrawingArea.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Drawing-Primitives.html#GdkDrawable

GtkDrawingArea and gnomecanvas are not the comparable at all;
one amounts to GTK wrapper around an OS Window, and the latter is
a high level drawing object kit.
Using the former when you need the latter requires you to reimplement the
functionality of the latter anyways. Seems pointless to me.