RE: Pure GTK vs Gnome

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 23:48, Murray Cumming wrote:
If you actually look at the dependencies for libgnomecanvas instead of
just seeing the "gnome" word in the name, then you will be better
informed.

I based my opinion based upon postings in the archive for the
Gtk-sharp-list (mono) mailing list and other similar sources. Were
people more knowledgeable than me about Windows issues were siting
difficulties with libgnomecanvas. Re-looking at some of sites/info I
researched last night I'm aware some of those sources were rather out of
date in my haste.

I'm aware of the fact that just because a package has "gnome" in it's
name doesn't mean it won't work with out Gnome. Although it's not a very
good example, I am intending to use some contents of libegg as the bits
I desire only depend upon GTK+.

I think the best way for me to develop my app is as a straight GTK+
application, using libgnomecavnas for it's graphical content
presentation.

The only component I am not too sure about is storage of user
configuration/preference information. Under Gnome it seems the current
recommended method is GConf, what are the common techniques in use else
where? I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak if I don't have
to.

I am a bit ignorant about GUI development under Linux as a whole. I am a
bit of an odd case I suppose. I am employed to develop Win32 code for
desktops and (mostly) PDAs (as well as code for PalmOS devices) so know
their best design practices etc quite well. However outside of work I've
solely used Linux for 6+ years. I am just not fully up to speed with
development practices for GUI applications, having spent most of my time
up to now developing console based apps/service daemons.

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn